Hey! Paper Leaf is an award-winning digital product agency located in Edmonton, AB. We design & develop innovative custom websites, web applications, and mobile applications –and we are looking to add a full-time Technical Developer to our current team to help us do that. We have a fun, relaxed & flexible environment; a tight-knit team where your voice is heard; a variety of challenging, rewarding, and creative work; and room for professional development. It’s a good place to be, and while we're currently remote during the pandemic, we do anticipate working back in a traditional office space at least part-time when we return.
With that said, this is a remote position for now, but applicants should be able to travel to Edmonton, Alberta and work from our office at least two days every week. Applications from anywhere in Alberta will be considered. We will also accept applications from anywhere in Canada if you’d like to move to Alberta.
We work on projects for clients across the globe, and you'll be working on a team that values high-quality execution – not one that is hellbent on burning you out and churning out as much work as possible. You can learn more about our work on the Portfolio page , our team on our About page, and get a good vibe of our culture from our Instagram feed. Sometimes mission statements are bogus, but we believe in ours: to help businesses and organizations grow through elegant execution of design and technology.
As well, we believe that diversity in all regards contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently improve Paper Leaf and the work we do. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
A Technical Developer position at Paper Leaf is a full-stack one, but particular emphasis is given to the true back end - cloud servers and services, scalable infrastructure, and maintenance of the environments in which our code operates. You’ll work on a cross-functional team focused on delivering projects that provide long-term value to both our clients and to our internal staff - uncovering and resolving friction points, improving on inefficiencies, and adding value to the products we deliver over time. You’ll be working in a modern web development environment (git, version control, etc) on large/complex content managed sites (primarily WordPress – custom builds, not theme customizations), eCommerce sites, web applications (Laravel, React), and mobile applications (React Native) for clients ranging from established businesses to international organizations and government corporations.
We realize the technical expectations are a big ask – we don’t expect you to know or have experience in everything right off the bat. A willingness and ability to learn is a big asset. So don’t avoid applying if you are lacking in some of the above areas; if you have a desire to learn we can help you get there.
Your role is crucial to the success of the company, our clients, and their projects.
Are you the ideal candidate for this position? We’re looking for someone who…
- is able to identify simple solutions to complex problems, or can decompose large requirements into manageable tasks
- wants to work collaboratively across teams to improve the overall quality of our shop
- is interested in cross-functional teams and roles
- thinks through problems thoroughly and can foresee gaps in project requirements
- is a true problem-solver and critical thinker
- identifies tradeoffs, risks, and potential issues, and works to mitigate and minimize them
- is extremely detail-oriented
- takes true pride in their work
- is able to manage multiple tasks while being deadline-oriented
- is a frequent and good communicator about their work
To be considered for the position, here’s what you’ll have:
- 3+ years experience developing for content management systems (WordPress experience is preferred but not required)
- 3+ years experience managing virtual servers and cloud resources (RackSpace, DigitalOcean, AWS, Azure, etc)
- experience with git/version control
- experience scaling applications (bonus points for WordPress) across multiple systems (containers/droplets/hosts)
- experience administering any of: Elasticsearch, MySQL, NGINX, Redis
- experience building and administering Debian GNU/Linux hosts using automated image build and configuration management tools, or deploying containerized services using an orchestration system like Kubernetes
If you don’t meet one or two of these requirements, but still feel you’d be a good fit, throw your hat in the mix anyway. You miss every shot you don’t take!
What We Offer
We offer a relaxed & fun working environment; flexible start and end times to your days, and the opportunity for 4 day weeks if you want; a compensation package that includes a competitive salary, benefits, vac time, and bonus structure; the opportunity to work on interesting, challenging, and meaningful projects; professional development opportunities; and more. The expected salary for this role is between $55,000-75,000 per annum.
We are always looking for the right candidates to help us grow, and will be in contact with those we wish to connect with for an interview. Thanks!