Hey! Paper Leaf is an award-winning digital product agency located in Edmonton, AB. We design & develop innovative custom websites, web applications, and mobile applications –and we are looking to add another full-time Senior Web Developer to our current team to help us do that. We have a fun, relaxed & flexible environment; a tight-knit team where your voice is heard; a variety of challenging, rewarding, and creative work; and room for professional development. It’s a good place to be, and while we're currently remote during the pandemic, we do anticipate working back in a traditional office space at least part-time, when we return. So, with that said, this is a remote position for now, but applicants should be from or willing to move to Edmonton, AB.
We work on projects for clients across the globe, and you'll be working on a team that values high-quality execution – not one that is hellbent on burning you out and churning out as much work as possible. You can learn more about our work on the Portfolio page, our team on our About page, and get a good vibe of our culture from our Instagram feed. Sometimes mission statements are bogus, but we believe in ours: to help businesses and organizations grow through elegant execution of design and technology.
As well, we believe that diversity in all regards contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently improve Paper Leaf and the work we do. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
Any Web Developer position at Paper Leaf is a full-stack one – so experience in both front and back end is a must. You’ll be working in a modern web development environment (git, version control, etc) on large/complex content managed sites (primarily WordPress – custom builds, not theme customizations), eCommerce sites, web applications (Laravel, React) and mobile applications (React Native, Ionic) for clients ranging from established businesses to international organizations and government corporations.
At Paper Leaf, our developers are involved in projects from their inception, working with a consistent tight-knit, cross-functional team. You aren’t left in the dark until you’re handed a design file. You’re not only involved in the execution of the end product – you’re involved in the brainstorming & problem-solving parts of your projects, including production strategy meetings, code reviews, and more.
As a Senior Web Developer, you’ll also be involved in defining and growing process at Paper Leaf to support the development team both on your team and across the organization at large. You’re driven to lead teams from within, mentoring and coaching more junior developers to help them reach their potential, while also rolling up your sleeves to solve complex problems and set the technical direction for projects and teams.
Your role is crucial to the success of the company, our clients, and their projects.
Are you the ideal candidate for this position? We’re looking for someone who…
- wants to work in close-knit teams, and can help coordinate that team in decision making and project execution
- is interested in cross-functional teams and roles
- is a true problem-solver and critical thinker
- thinks through problems thoroughly and can foresee gaps in project requirements
- takes true pride in their work
- is able to manage multiple tasks while being deadline-oriented
- is committed to being a leader and a mentor, and takes pride in helping others grow
- can communicate opinions, processes, and technical details to a wide variety of people- from fellow developers to clients
- is driven to recommend and implement standards, tools, and development methodologies
To be considered for the position, here’s what you’ll have:
- 5+ years front-end development experience (PHP/CSS/JS) building responsive websites or web applications
- 5+ years experience developing for content management systems (WordPress experience is preferred but not required)
- Experience with Laravel or React Native
- 2+ years experience leading teams, either formally or informally
- experience with git/version control
- 5+ years back-end and server-side experience
- Solid grasp of programming fundamentals and their practical application
- Experience executing projects using current DevOps practices, including automated testing, CI/CD, and containerization
If you don’t meet one or two of these requirements, but still feel you’d be a good fit, throw your hat in the mix anyway. You miss every shot you don’t take.
What We Offer
This full-time, salaried position is normally out of our downtown office in Edmonton, but we're all working from home for the foreseeable future due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We offer a relaxed & fun working environment; flexible start and end times to your days, and the opportunity for 4 day weeks if you want; a compensation package that includes a competitive salary, benefits, vac time, and bonus structure; the opportunity to work on interesting, challenging, and meaningful projects; professional development opportunities; and more.
To apply for this position, please visit the original job posting at https://paperleaf.humi.ca/job-board/development/2997 and follow the submission process.
We are always looking for the right candidates to help us grow, and will be in contact with those we wish to connect with for an interview. Thanks!